I know, this might be another article to remind us mothers that just as we are so careful to feed our children’s bodies (buy organic products and all kind of fresh produce to prepare healthy meals) we should keep in mind that we are also in charge of nurturing their souls, how? Here’s some ideas:
- First, run to God and be filled by Him. YOU NEED to go everyday to His presence and ask for wisdom, strength and joy to be able to serve Him as a mother that loves and honors what He has entrusted you. I’ve tried to do it in my own strength (without even thinking about it sometimes) and let me tell you: it doesn’t work. That path would only take a mother to eventually become very uptight, perfectionist, have no grace, judgmental and eventually frustrated because the amazing call of motherhood can only be accomplished fully and joyfully if we have God’s grace and help for it.
- If you love, worship, seek Him and read His word that genuine lifestyle will be a truth that speaks much more than many words you can speak to your children. If they see a genuine woman (not a “perfect one”), who prays, repents, seeks God and lives by faith, that will very nurturing and will definitely influence their lives.
- Have a devotional with them every day. Also, read together other books that will point them to God. Pray for them every day and remember that you can’t save them, BUT you can be a testimony of His power and grace.
- Take your time to buy good books, DVDs and any other items for your kids with edifying themes. It is totally worth the investment. Also, look for content with sound doctrine (we all know that just because it’s in a Christian store doesn’t always mean it has good doctrine, right?).
- Keep walking by faith, dear friend. His grace is sufficient. ♥ (2 Corinthians 12:9)
BONUS: Play with them! For many children, this is one of the ways they feel loved ♥
Some interesting quotes:
“You are called to be [an] . . . influential ambassador of a glorious King, but you must resist the desire to be a king. You are called to trumpet God’s glory, but you must never take that glory for yourself. You are called to a position of leadership, influence, and prominence, but, in that position you are called to ‘humble yourself under the mighty hand of God.” – Paul David Tripp
“This is not a formula! Kids from wonderful gospel-centered homes leave the church; people from messed-up family backgrounds find eternal life in Jesus and have beautiful marriages and families. But it’s also not a crap-shoot. In general, children who are led in their faith during their growing-up years by parents who love Jesus vibrantly, serve their church actively and saturate their home with the gospel completely, and grow up to love Jesus and the church”. – Jon Nielson
“God didn’t give you your children to build your reputation but to publicly proclaim his”. -Paul David Tripp
“In every moment when you are parenting, you are being parented. In every moment when you are called to give grace, you are being given grace. In every moment when you are rescuing and protecting your children, you are being rescued and protected. In every moment when you feel alone, you are anything but alone because he goes wherever you go.” – Paul David Tripp